Saturday 11 April 2015

My Analytical Statement


My Analytical Statement

We are given both the perspective of the atmosphere in this post-apocalyptic world and the account of the emotions of the surviving main characters (The man and the boy). By doing this, it highlights the struggle of the characters in this dead world and provokes us to focus on their relationship.

Examples

“It’s because I won’t ever get to drink another one isn’t it? Evers a long time. Okay, the boy said. By dusk of the day following they were at the city. The long concrete sweets of the interstate exchanges like the ruins of a vast funhouse against the distant murk”.

“I don’t know. But it’s okay now. I’m going to put some wood on the fire. You go to sleep. The boy didn’t answer. Then he said: The winder wasn’t turning. It took four more days to come down out of the snow and even then there were patches of snow in certain bends of the road and the road was black and wet from the upcountry runoff even beyond that.”

“The boy stood looking down. He nodded his head. Then they went on and he didn’t look back again. At evening dull sulphur lit from the fires. The standing water in the roadside ditches black with the runoff”.

“The filth dried in his hair and his face streaked with it. Talk to me, he said, but he would not. They moved on east through the standing dead trees. They passed an old frame house and crossed a dirt road. A cleared plot of ground perhaps once a truck garden”.

“That’s right. Because we’re carrying the fire. Yes. Because we’re carrying the fire. In the morning a cold rain was falling. It gusted over the car even under the overpass and it danced in the road beyond.”

“I always believe you. I don’t think so. Yes I do. I have to. They hiked back down the highway through the mud. Smell of earth and wet ash in the rain. Dark water in the roadside ditch.”

“Why don’t you ride for a while? I don’t want to. It’s okay. Slow water in the flat country. The sloughs by the roadside motionless and gray. The coastal plain river s in leaden serpentine across the wasted farmland”.

“I’m sorry I yelled at you. He looked up. That okay, Papa. Let’s start over. Okay. Ian the morning it was raining and a hard wind was rattling the glass at the rear of the building.”

“Is that all right? Yes. I thought you didn’t want to talk? I don’t. They left two days later, the man limping along behind the cart and the boy keeping close to his side until they cleared the outskirts of the town.  The road ran along the flat gray coast and there were drifts of sand in the road and the winds had left there.”

“No.  Don’t listen to me. Come on, let’s go.  In the evening the murky shape of another coastal city, the cluster of tall buildings vaguely askew.”


“She said that the breath of God was his breath yet through it pass from man to man through all of time. Once there was a brook trout in the streams in the mountains.”T

No comments:

Post a Comment